When you buy coconut oil at the grocery store, you know that it is semi-solid at room temperature and, while perfect for cooking, can be hard to use on skin unless melted or whipped first. Enter Fractionated Coconut Oil, a form which stays liquid at room temperature. To achieve this, coconut oil goes through a chemical-free process to take out the long-chain fatty acids (triglycerides) that give coconut oil its solidity. Taking out these fatty acids also extends the oil’s shelf life indefinitely. (Unfractionated coconut oil lasts two years, and other carrier oils typically last less than a year.)
- ½ cup distilled water
- ½ cup pure aloe vera gel
- ½ cup beeswax
- ½ cup dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E
- 10–15 drops essential oils
- Combine water and aloe vera gel in heat-proof bowl that fits over the top of your double boiler pan and traps the steam. Set aside.
- Place beeswax and Fractionated Coconut Oil in double boiler over medium heat until beeswax is melted.
- Remove top boiler insert and pour beeswax mixture into blender.
- Place the water and aloe mixture on the already-boiling base of double boiler, bringing the mixture to around the same temperature as beeswax mixture.
- Note: This is will need to be done quickly to prevent the beeswax mixture from hardening in the blender. You can also microwave the water and aloe mixture while the beeswax and coconut oil melt to speed up the heating process. The two liquids need to be a similar temperature to help the ingredients emulsify.
- Turn on blender to medium speed. Very slowly pour water and aloe mixture into blender, continuing to slowly pour as mixture starts to emulsify or come together. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of blender.
- Continue blending and pouring for up to 15 minutes until you are happy with the consistency of your lotion.
- Add vitamin E oil and essential oils and mix well.
- Place finished lotion in your container of choice (12 ounces or less) and use within three months.
Tip: If you don’t have a double boiler, use a taller sauce pan and find two heat-proof bowls that will fit snugly over the sauce pan.